Thursday, September 28, 2023

[INTERLUDE] 41: Failure of Gentlemanly Proportions

Spin-off: Four Demonly Kings
Part 6 (END) of: Pennacook Club Membership arc

Knowing Urato and Inasuke's intention, Kaguya has many things to say.


Urato and Inasuke sat in shock, the sting from Kaguya's slaps pulsing on their faces. Neither could speak a word; they could only stare as their friend regarded them with barely veiled anger.

"I'll gladly play sports against you, play Just Dance against you, throw fans with you in the Courtyard, what-have-you," Kaguya said. "I wouldn't have reacted like this if you'd had a fair-and-square competition against me. Instead, you're trying to one-up someone who's already lost. Don't you think that's a little ridiculous?

"I've already failed the interview, the club's already rejected me, I'm never allowed to show up before them again. Isn't that humiliating enough? What more do you want?"

Here, Kaguya took a pause and directed his gaze at Inasuke.

"Let's not mince words: you're one of the most brazen hypocrites I've ever seen," he continued. "You prattle over and over that you're all about Momo, but have you stopped to see whether she's actually happy? Whether she's fine about the things you try to do to me? She told me what you did; she called herself a traitor, begged me to punish her because of it. You say you go to all this trouble in her honour, but the only person I see you're doing it for is yourself. You and your warped sense of moral conviction.

"In a way, I'm impressed with both of you. You waste that much of your and others' time and energy learning something you don't even want to do, just so you can one-up someone who's already failed. What can I say to that?"

Kaguya's impassioned speech left both Urato and Inasuke stunned. Then, they were served another surprise: all of a sudden, Kaguya pulled them both into a hug.

"You are my friends," he said. "Don't do this again."

And so no one achieved Pennacook Club membership, and all was well in the world again – as much as narrative forces allowed.