Thursday, December 25, 2025

[INTERLUDE] 70: Stand Like a Camellia, Sit Like a Rose, Walk Like a Fringed Pink

Spin-off: Four Demonly Kings
Part 7 of: Photo Contest arc

Kaguya's and Arare's respective reactions to the contest result.


Momoka's heart felt as though turned to lead, each step back to the Demonly Kings' RCs as though weighed down by rocks.

After Urato and Inasuke had disappeared into RC 🤘, Momoka found a heartbreaking sight: Kaguya sat with his face to the wall, his clothes and skin still in thousands of colours, only his hair remaining lusciously dark. Even as the door slid open, he didn't turn around; he weakly breathed out, "Momo, is that you?"

"I am sorry for everything," said Momoka. "I should've taken a better photo, I…"

"It's alright; it's all my fault. I can't properly function in a badfic, I wasted your time and effort just to take part in a contest that I couldn't be guaranteed to win. I've failed you all."

"Please, you do not have to worry about the vacation. Ms. Otomebara told us…"

"It's not just the vacation; I didn't become the cover boy." Kaguya turned around. "This was my chance to start accomplishing what my mother couldn't, and yet I failed. I've brought shame upon my family; my new club president was right, perhaps I don't have what it takes to be a model, or a yamato nadeshiko."

To a puzzled Momoka, Kaguya explained the troublesome conversation he had with his new university club president just before he and she departed for the PPC. Momoka then told him, "If you don't mind, I have something to show you."

She lead him to his makeup table, then showed him the mirror. They beheld their own reflection: still covered utterly in the colourful mess of Otomeshiya products. Even then, Momoka told her master, "You are as lovely as ever. You've always been deeply admirable: your beauty, your elegance, your relaxed confidence. These qualities, I can never hope to imitate. You don't need to be an all-powerful, fearsome moon god, nor succeed at everything you try; you are a yamato nadeshiko, now and always. This is the first time you've ever tried any real modelling; there are still many opportunities ahead. Charming as you are, I believe you'll eventually succeed.

"Just after you left, Ms. Otomebara told us that you won second place. The prize is a trip to Scandinavia. I suppose you did succeed this time, after all."

Kaguya turned to her, a small smile upon his lips. "Thank you for having faith in me. I promise to you, to my family and to myself, I will become the best model you'll ever see."

"But before you do so, I can't just let you stay coated in these chaotic colours. Allow me to run us a bath; let us wash ourselves of all of this badly coordinated makeup."

They laughed.


Inside the charming Taishō-style abode that was Haruko's study, only Arare and Haruko remained. Subtly smiling, the old zashiki-warashi said in the same candyish voice she'd always had, "Mamma mia, did you see the look on the face of that long-haired student fellow? Indeed, few things are more amusing than filthy humans with disappointment plastered all over their faces."

"Yes, I've beaten them. Now that I'm on the Monitor cover, I'm truly starting to be known and feared far and wide. However, there's yet another goal I need to accomplish," said Arare. "Mistress, now that I won the contest as you suggested, are you going to make me one of the Seven Wonders?"

Haruko regarded him briefly, then emitted a bout of laughter. "Come now, rabbit boy, don't be silly. I said you could get in, not that you will. You are still in debt for what you did to skull boy's barbecue and for attacking a Seven Wonders member, do you recall? Skull boy was developing recipes to help Otomeshiya expand into food, yet you came along to ruin our efforts. This is why I'm still not letting you in just yet. Besides, to pay off your debt, you will forfeit that vacation you won. Yes, that luxurious Paris vacation for four is all mine. Do I make myself clear?"

She was looking down at the rabbit at her feet, as though beholding a pest; her eyes were the colour of soft cherry petals, yet her gaze sharp like swords. After a moment of suffocating silence, Arare continued, "The badfic environment you sent me into for my entry wasn't as Japanese as you said it was. What was the reason for this?"

Haruko simply tossed him a piece of folded paper. "Mon chéri, you won the contest. What more are you asking for? Don't worry, even though you aren't going to Paris, I've found another destination that better suits your needs. It's written on that talisman; plan your vacation there if you like. Now go and don't waste my time; a CEO has lots of work to do."

"But Mistress, when will I be able to join the Seven Wonders?"

Rather than answering, Haruko turned around, showing Arare her obi knot elaborately tied like a golden rose upon her back. She commanded her two closest shikigami, "Ceil, seimeis, why don't you be a dear and see him off?"

Arare was speechless. Seconds before he was kicked out the door by a cat and a daruma doll, he saw Haruko smile and speak to him like a kindly grandmother, "I am the leader of the Seven Wonders. My words regarding us are final."